Monday, November 21, 2005

Pumpkin Sauce, aka Liquid Pumpkin Pie

Scandinavians are big on sauces. Sauces for meat. Sauces for potatoes and vegetables. Sauces for desserts. Some are so keen on sweet sauces that they put them in a bowl and eat them as "soups" for dessert. Blueberry and rhubarb are among my summer favorites. Thinking of Thanksgiving, I remembered an easy pumpkin sauce I made one year in Oslo. Necessity held all the maternal rights here as well - I had one small pumpkin - think medium gourd - and about 8 guests. I served it over pound cake, and it was a big hit, but you could serve it over regular or parve ice cream as well.

Pumpkin Sauce

2 cups of mashed sugar pumpkin or Hubbard squash
1/4 -1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 - 1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp cardamom (optional)
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 c. evaporated milk/light cream/parve creamer

Mix well and serve over cake, ice cream or eat as is.

2 Comments:

Blogger Elisheva said...

Hi! I like your blog. Quite different.

BTW, I have a new post.

Shalom

22/11/05 13:07  
Blogger AbleVaybel said...

I like yours too, Elisheva. Look in when you have a chance.

22/11/05 13:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home